A to Z of Homemaking

2

Posted on : 3:40 PM | By : Anonymous | In : ,

I saw this at Lizzie's Home World:

A ~Aprons--y/n If y, what does your fav. look like?
I am usually in jeans or a skirt and a t-shirt, but I have an apron I made. It is a light green cotton print with white flowers and vines scrolling around on it. It ties around the neck and has a curved hem at the bottom... very 1950's.

B ~ Baking--Favorite thing to bake?
Pie. I make bread too but I haven't really been able to get into the zen of kneading dough. I just have this love of pastry that makes pie my favorite.

C ~ Clothes line?
We're renting and can't install one but when we move I plan to get an indoor clothes drying rack as well as a clothesline, because we are going to eliminate our dryer use.

D ~ Donuts--Have you ever made them?
I LOVE donuts, and I used to have a deep fryer and realized if I taught myself to make donuts then my dedication to healthy eating would be shot.

E ~ Everyday--One homemaking thing you do everyday?
I tidy up every day. I also do all that other stuff like cooking, but in the late afternoon I zip around the house and straighten it up so that everyone feels comfortable and cozy for the evening.

F ~ Freezer--Do you have a separate deep freeze?
Someday. No room yet.

G ~ Garbage Disposer?
Nope, we compost instead.

H ~ Handbook--What is your favourite homemaking resource?
My own book, lol (see top right corner). When I wrote my book it started out as a notebook of all the things I read about and wanted to do, and I refer to it all the time for home remedies or if I need to make something we need. Second up would be The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery.

I ~ Ironing--Love it or Hate it? Or hate it but love the results?
I don't believe in ironing, but it is a necessary evil since we try to avoid synthetics and sometimes you just have to look nice. Actually my husband does his own because he's better at it than me. I only do it for a white linen skirt I have if I really need to dress up.

J ~ Junk Drawer--y/n? Where is it?
There used to be, and now it's all in a plastic bucket. It's quite useful actually... rubber bands, screwdrivers, tape, Post-Its, lost keys, screws, pencils...

K ~ Kitchen--color and decorating scheme.
I haven't ever gotten to decorate in that way. However, the items in my home are always natural materials like wood or glass, and we are kind of minimalist so there's not much laying around. The art in my home is either my own paintings and drawings or from someone else in my family.

L ~ Love--what is your favorite part of homemaking?
I wish I could say cooking, but my favorite part is being home, lol. Once I've done my work I can work on craft and writing projects. I consider home education part of my homemaking too... it's just a natural extension of the things I do around here during the day.

M ~ Mop--y/n?
No... I use a rag with water and organic orange oil. Hands and knees and lots of elbow grease.

N ~ Nylons, machine or hand wash?
Nylons are not only uncomfortable and impossible to take care of, they are made of a form of plastic, and I get allergic to them. My legs get cold though, so sometimes I wear black tights (like the kind little girls wear), but now I've started wearing long skirts in the winter and can get away with leggings.

O ~ Oven--do you use the window or open the oven to check?
I have to see it in person. In fact, I'm a bit of a compulsive oven door opener.

P ~ Pizza--What do you put on yours?
I love artichoke hearts and spinach. Since my family isn't big on that, the other half is just pesto and cheese.

Q ~ Quiet--What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
I surf the internet, or read.

R ~ Recipe Card Box--y/n? What does it look like?
I don't keep recipes anymore... I had a collection and got water spilled on it and molded, so now the only thing I have is a couple of favorite bread recipes on paper scraps tucked into my favorite cookbook. Otherwise they come from the internet.

Style of house--What style is your house?
If I could have my own house, it would be either an old 1920's bungalow or a Victorian farmhouse. OR, a cob house. Right now it's just a normal fairly new house and eventually it will be a townhouse.

T ~ Tablecloths or Placemats?
Nothing. What's the point when you have kids? Someday I would like to, but I am messy too so maybe it's still not worth it.

U ~ Under the kitchen sink--organized or toxic wasteland?
Organized and not much is in there. Just baking soda, some towels, orange cleaner.

V ~ Vacuum--How many times per week?
We're not home that much in the summer, so maybe once every week (or two weeks). We don't wear shoes in the house and we only live in two rooms so it's not that bad. In the winter it's once a week.

W ~ Wash--How many loads of laundry do you do per week?
At least four. We each only have enough clothes to fill a laundry basket heaping full, and we wear clothes until the armpits smell, instead of changing every day. This saves me lots of work, and lots of water.

X's--Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off?
Sometimes. Not as much as I used to, but if the list is greater than five I have to write it down. Sometimes just writing it out helps me remember.

Y ~ Yard--y/n? Who does what?
We haven't really ever had yard work to be done, but gardening is usually me, and mowing is John.

ZZZ's--what is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?
Nothing... when we get tired I just stop what I'm doing and leave it for the next day. I try to clean up a little in the afternoon, so the house isn't really messy. Usually the last thing we do is have a cup of herbal tea together.

Comments (2)

Just came across your blog and saw the fun game so I'll have to play along...but probably in a few days after I've caught up with all the posts I already have stuck in my mind!

Enjoyed the blog. Found you via blogcatalog and just thought I would say hi. Noticed you'd been reading Birthing from Within. I read most of it myself as I'm expecting in November. Love all her art projects and things. I'm going to have my first birth with Hypnobabies techniques so very interested about how things will go...especially in a foreign country!

Thanks! I'm really enjoying Birthing From Within too. I liked your blog as well. :)