Advertised Food

2

Posted on : 9:30 AM | By : Anonymous | In :

Today is the first day that I feel pretty normal, and I am able to catch up on some housework and laundry, amazingly. I realized that I had never really done the laundry in this house without being uncomfortably pregnant. There are three floors, the bedrooms at the top, and the washing machine all the way at the bottom and I had to have some help every time. But today I managed to bring it all down, and even though I am tired, I enjoyed the work.

On a totally different note, I was reading this article today, an interview with the Michael Pollan that I had never heard about before I wrote the Gourmonsters post. It's basically a discussion on factory pig farming, Monsanto and other unsustainable practices, but especially the claims by processed food companies that their products are somehow more sustainable - using real sugar, sourcing local farmers, etc. He says that really what it all comes down to, to be sustainable and healthy, is to just not buy food that is advertised.



Really this includes basic things like beef, pork, eggs, milk... all of those products generally come from a factory farm. If you buy the kinds that aren't advertised, then you are good. You would also have to cut out anything with soy. What would you have left? Bread, fruit, vegetables, beans, rice. Maybe some free range chicken and eggs, and some fish. And with a diet like that, be prepared to live a few years longer. :)

Its easier said than done however... my fridge has lots of branded products in it, because sometimes in a busy family they are just easier to get. But we're trying, lol.

Comments (2)

I hadn't thought about it that way, but I try to do the same thing. If food is advertised, they have too much money: they charge too much money, they use production practices that I couldn't endorse, they cut corners, they belong to a mega-corporation that cares more about the bottom line than quality. I buy lots of branded food, just like most people, because it's nearly impossible not to. But I buy bread that's made less than 100 miles from here. I buy dairy from my state, when possible. I limit crackers and cookies from the store, because I like making them so much more!

Thanks for the link! Sally

What a great way to think about it. I probably shop that way though. I gave up clipping coupons years ago because almost nothing I ever buy has a coupon. I wasted so much time clipping coupons for things I would never buy- Ok- maybe I'm a bit thick sometimes. Of course, I'm not as bad as my MIL who buys things she never uses because 'I had a really good coupon'. THAT I never understood.
Glad you're feeling more 'normal'.
Judy