The Garden is Growing!

0

Posted on : 10:40 AM | By : Anonymous | In : , ,




The garden is growing well, and we've been hit with a week of super-hot summer weather that is making everyone miserable but the garden loves it - except the cucumbers. No matter what we do, we can't get a single cucumber seed to even sprout. But in our friend's garden box that is directly next to ours, the cucumbers love it! Why do the cucumbers hate our box, and love the dirt 2 feet away? Who knows, although probably we just picked the wrong variety. My beefsteak tomatoes are also doing much better than the other, smaller kind I planted, but I doubt I'll get much of any tomato this year... I started them way too late.

Rainn is a month old now, and we're getting closer to summer vacation, which I am really looking forward to. I see lots of time on the beach, homegrown vegetables, camping trips, hiking, bug bites and college classes in my future. Today it's actually too hot to take the baby outside for any length of time because of the balance between keeping her covered to prevent sunburn and having too much clothes on to be comfortable, so I got some movies from my childhood to nap to: Willow, Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park.

Which brings me to my thought of the day... the guilt of sitting still. I get guilty the longer I sit and do nothing. Guiltier and guiltier. I am feeling guilty right now because I am procrastinating other things by making this post longer and longer. But what's wrong with doing nothing?

Carrying body and soul and embracing the one,
Can you avoid separation?
Attending fully and becoming supple,
Can you be as a newborn babe?
Washing and cleansing the primal vision,
Can you be without stain?
Loving all men and ruling the country,
Can you be without cleverness?
Opening and closing the gates of heaven,
Can you play the role of woman?
Understanding and being open to all things,
Are you able to do nothing?
Giving birth and nourishing,
Bearing yet not possessing,
Working yet not taking credit,
Leading yet not dominating,
This is the Primal Virtue.

-Lao Tzu

Comments (0)