The Sweet and the Sour

0

Posted on : 10:28 AM | By : Anonymous | In : , , ,

You can do whatever you want with your life, but one day you'll know what love truly is. It's the sour and the sweet. And I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet. - Vanilla Sky

I was going to write a post about the time I didn't wear shoes for six months, but I was reading the news, and I thought this stuff was way more important.



After the incredibly shocking Supreme Court decision that corporations are now considered people, I was just waiting for a company to either seriously take advantage of the implications of such a ruling, or to illustrate how stupid the decision was. Murray Hill, Inc. is the first corporation to run for Congress, and it's either a tongue-in-cheek demonstration (which I think it probably is - I hope) or a serious attempt that blatantly illustrates how the American political system as it was originally set up is effectively dead. They are a liberal PR firm that is running Republican, so I'm thinking that this is a stunt, and a genius one at that.

But, then I read a great story about a community in England that is reclaiming their local food power. The parish of Martin was surrounded by farmland but everyone had to go to the supermarket to get food from hundreds and thousands of miles away. They effectively organized themselves and dedicated the farmland to a communally run food cooperative that grows most of their food for cheap, and it's organic too. What I thought was amazing was the logistics... for approximately $8 US per year each, 126 families receive meat and vegetables, which is 60% of the families in the village. They don't have to pay if they volunteer 7 hours of labor, and the coop still makes money enough to employ four workers. This completely destroys the argument that organic food will always be too expensive for the regular consumer, and demonstrates that organic food is only expensive because companies know they can charge that much.

I'm thinking it's time people started taking some action, don't you?

Comments (0)