The Worst Tasting Home Remedy

1

Posted on : 10:47 AM | By : Anonymous | In :

Since I have a pretty deep cough and I really want to kick it before I go into labor, I decided to try some home remedies (as usual) to try to combat it. Being pregnant, I am leery of taking anything herbal, besides a few tried-and-true things, so I stuck to old standbys that you find in the kitchen.

The first thing I did was gargle warm salt water. This absolutely finished the sore throat after I did it a couple of times a day for two days. When using this remedy its better to use sea salt, and to gargle for as long as you can stand it. After a few times, the sore throat should be gone.

Then yesterday, still battling this deep chest cough, I decided to try the chili (or cayenne) pepper cure. Formerly I had simply put some in a tall glass of OJ and downed it which usually helped, but this time I decided to do this: 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder. Add some honey and take a tablespoon full. I had just read that eating something really spicy could kick start labor, so instead of a tablespoon, I figured it wouldn't do any harm to take a big gulp instead. Apple cider vinegar is chock full of vitamins and minerals, so down it went.

The horrendous taste of it was amazing. I've never tasted something so bad that I've felt shocked rather than revolted. It also didn't cure my cough. I would say that the effect of this is to help you cough up phlegm more so you can clear your lungs out, which is probably a good thing. There are other ways to do this as well:

Bee balm: Steep 1 teaspoon of dried bee balm leaves or 2 teaspoons of fresh bee balm leaves in a covered cup of hot water for four minutes. Sip three times a day.

Borage: Take syrup made from an infusion of borage flowers as an expectorant. It can be combined with marshmallow or mullein flowers.

Cabbage: Take 2 teaspoons of syrup from a decoction of cabbage leaves for chesty coughs.

Garlic: Grate a couple of cloves of garlic and mix with a teaspoon of honey for coughs.

Grape: Mix a cup of grape juice with a teaspoon of honey.

Honey: Boil a whole lemon for 10 minutes and allow it to cool. Roll it on a hard surface, cut in half and squeeze the juice into a pint of raw honey. Add a teaspoon of glycerin and take for coughs.

Hyssop: Steep 2 teaspoons dried hyssop in 1 cup boiling water. Cover for 10 minutes, strain, and allow to cool. Drink for an expectorant.

Marshmallow: Use syrup from an infusion of marshmallow as a cough expectorant.

Mullein: Pour 1 cup boiling water over 1-4 tablespoons of the plant. Cover and let steep for 10-20 minutes off the heat. Strain and drink.

Onion: Boil and onion for 10-15 minutes, strain and drink several times a day.

Thyme: Put 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon of dried thyme in a cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for four minutes, then strain. Drink it hot.

During pregnancy: You are supposed to avoid cayenne, but since I am trying to induce labor a small amount is ok. You could also use chili powder or tabasco sauce for a less dangerous alternative. You should also avoid thyme during pregnancy as it can cause miscarriage.

Comments (1)

Hello! My remedy for colds (and I used this during pregnancy too) is Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar.

I take pure raw honey (the thicker the better I say), and pure apple cider vinegar in equal amounts (maybe 1/8 cup each), and put it in a small mason jar, and shake it util it is completely mixed.

Take 2 Tablespoons about 3-4x a day for 2 days. It is sure hard to choke down at first, but it generally takes my colds away in the 2 days.

I leave any leftovers in the jar and handy for the next time any cold symptoms start ceeping aroud.

I also like to light pure beeswax candles (can you tell I am a beekeeper's assistant) when anyone is sick in the house. It is an air purifier, and keeps others from catching whatever is floating around.

Good luck with your cold, and congrats on the baby! I have your deliberate life book, and it is amazing. Keep up the good work!

Andrea